The Golden Globes 2019 was filled with surprises that left fans grasping on to their seats. Some of the biggest upsets from the night included Bohemian Rhapsody stealing the best picture award from Bradley Cooper’s ‘A Star is Born’. Fan favorite Lady Gaga also ended up losing the best actress award to Glenn Close.
The internet had its moment of fury, but all-in-all, it was a good night for British stars like Christian Bale and Olivia Colman who both won the best actor and actress award for musical comedy. Colman won the award for her performance in the critically-acclaimed The Favourite, whereas Christian Bale took the stage for his lead role in Vice.
In her award-acceptance speech, Colman almost choked up while thanking her supporters. But the actress pushed back the tears, saying that her friends at her table will laugh at her if she cries.
Welsh-born Christian Bale also cracked a few jokes on stage while accepting his award. While thanking his friends and family during the speech, the Batman star also gave Satan an honorable mention. He added that it was the devil himself who gave him inspiration for the award-winning role.
But the biggest shocker came in the form of Glenn Close’s victory over Lady Gaga as Best Actress. Before the ceremony, Lady Gaga was seen as the strongest contender for the award for her heart-winning performance in A Star is Born. But it was The Wife lead actress who pulled off a shocker and stole the award for her powerful performance.
Just moments after the big upset, fans witnessed an even bigger surprise as Bohemian Rhapsody swept the most important award of the night: Best Motion Picture.
Golden Globes Winners
Here are all the important television shows and blockbuster films that won the prestigious Golden Globe awards this year.
- Bohemian Rhapsody wins Best Motion Picture (Drama)
- The Green Book was awarded Best Motion Picture in Musical or Comedy
- Alfonso Cuaron named Best Director for Motion Picture
- Glen Close wins over Lady Gaga as Best Actress for Motion Picture Drama, for her performance in ‘The Wife’
- Rami Malek stole the show as Best Actor in Motion Picture Drama for his role in ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’
- Regina King won Best Actress in Supporting Role for her role in ‘If Beale Street Could Talk’ whereas Mahershala Ali won the same award in the male category for his performance in ‘Green Book’
- Lady Gaga may have lost the Best Actress Award. But, the Globes honored her musical talent by giving her an award for the Most Original Song. Can you guess which song we’re talking about here? Of couse, it’s the chart-toper ‘Shallow’ from ‘A Star is Born’.